I'll update the list as I learn more!
Update Jan 9: now alphabetized irrespective of hashtag
CONTESTS (with sponsors and/or prizes)
2018 Ready To Wear Fast: hosted by Sarah Gunn, this started Jan 1 but encourages everyone to abstain from buying RTW clothes for the entire year in favor of sewing them instead.CLOSED
- 52 Week Sewing Challenge: Facebook group with a weekly challenge and various sponsors.
- #CashmeretteActive: sew up any of the new Cashmerette Activewear garments and post a photo wearing it while doing your favorite exercise and be entered to win prizes, last day to enter is Feb 12.
- #CurvyYearofSewing: bi-monthly challenge hosted by Curvy Sewing Collective where you choose the patterns for any of their given themes.
- #DayandNightDressChallenge: the idea is to create 2 dresses, one for a coffee date during the day, another for a cocktail in the evening. All the details are over at Elizabeth Made This. Open on Instagram until March 5.
- GreenStyle Creations New Year Mini-Fit Capsule: join the Facebook group to participate in making a mini-capsule of 3 athletic garments from the GreenStyle Creations Patterns. Deadline is Feb 28.
- PatternReview: multiple monthly challenges with various themes and rules, must be a member of PatternReview.com.
- Project Sew It: Facebook group with monthly prompts for wardrobe basics, monthly prizes in the form of pattern giveaways.
- #sew100in2018: want to take on a serious output mission? With a stated goal to sew at least 100 items in 2018, you'll need to join the Facebook group to read the extensive rules.
- Sew Alongs & Sewing Contests: Facebook group with themes that last 1-3 months, monthly challenges may or may not be sponsored.
- #SewAlteredStyle: a year-long skill-building challenge around 6 pre-defined wardrobe basics (with a huge emphasis on pants), join the Sew Altered Society Facebook group for more and see the calendar of themes at their blog.
- Sewing with a Plan (SWAP 2018): create an 11-piece capsule wardrobe, must be a member of the Stitchers Guild, ends April 28.
- #SewMyStyle: monthly pattern challenge, sign up for discounts to featured monthly patterns and access to the VIP Facebook group.
- #SummerofBasics (Southern Hemisphere Edition): aimed at makers in the Southern Hemisphere, this is hosted by New Zealand-based Fabric Drop to create one basic summer make each month (Nov/Dec/Jan), runs through the end of Jan
- #SMYLY2018: stands for Sewing Makes You Love Yourself and only runs from Jan 1 to Feb 28, so head on over to Athina Kakou's blog for more details.
PROMPTS (unsponsored challenges)
- #2018MakeNine: "a gentle challenge for makers" was originally the brainchild of Rochelle New from Lucky Lucille and encourages a plan for 9 total garments a year, of your own choosing.
- #2018TakeNine: "a gentle photo challenge for makers" is another work-at-your-own-pace prompt-based challenge also from Rochelle, but with a twist. Check out her blog post for more info.
- #2018UseNine: an attempt to reduce your fabric stash, the concept is similar to #2018MakeNine but using the fabrics in your own stash. Play along on Instagram.
#2018sve: 2018 Secret Valentine Exchange is a lovely idea hosted by Sanae and Ute to "spread love and cheer through handmade goods." Sign up by Jan 10 to be part of the exchange at Sanae's blog.CLOSED
- 365 Days of Sewing: Ciara is attempting to sew every day for the entire year and encourages you to join her!
- #burdachallenge2018: a synergistic "no pressure" exercise created by Hila of Saturday Night Stitch to concentrate on BurdaStyle patterns
- #bpsewvember: a daily Instagram prompt hosted by Amanda of Bimble & Pimble that takes place in November. More info and a review of the last four years on her blog.
- #CashmeretteChallenge: what started as a dare between Gillian (@gilliancrafts) and Jennifer (@weboughtamanor) to only wear Cashmerette patterns through the month of February, is now open to the Instagram community as a whole who can play along by using the hashtag
- Chambray Blues Sew Along: Jessica has chosen 12 commercial patterns to create free sew alongs around, with her assistance in making them.
- #JustSewJan: a twist on the daily Instagram prompt for January, started by costumer Pauline Loven (@periodwardrobe) and Martha from @jukiclub and doled out in 10 day blocks with extended explanations of their prompts
- #MAGAM Sewalong: stands for Make a Garment a Month and hosted by Sarah Liz on Instagram and Facebook, with a full explanation on her blog.
- #MMMay2018: an annual Instagram event started by Zoe Edwards to encourage makers to enjoy their handmade items as possible throughout May. Info regarding 2017 available on Zoe's blog.
- #OrganizedSewing: a daily Instagram prompt throughout January, brainchild of Seamstress Erin Designs to inspire everyone to start the year off organized
Project Sew It: Facebook group with monthly prompts for wardrobe basics.This now has prizes.
- #SewStripes: the Sewcialists are reprising this fun prompt throughout February, just sew anything with stripes and post on Instagram using this hashtag.
- #SigCOTM: my personal monthly signature color challenge inspired by birthstones.
- Seamless Pledge: similar to the 2018 RTW Fast above, but ongoing and you choose your own timeline. If you missed joining the Goodbye Valentino's fast, this might be for you! Check out Sew Seamless for more info.
- #StashShrinker: on a goal to shrink your fabric stash? The SewJourners challenge may be for you. It also comes with a free tool to assist with your endeavors. And dovetails nicely with #UseNine above.
- The Monthly Stitch: monthly themes, only one of which is sponsored (Indie Pattern Month).
If you know of others, please feel free to leave a comment and I'll add to the list. These are great for inspiration and making New Year's ReSEWlutions! If you're interested in making your own sewing goals for 2018, Helen and Caroline of the Love to Sew podcast have a great episode about this exact topic!